From A Storehouse of Knowledge
- This article is about the ancient empire. For the modern country, see Iran.
- Cyrus II, whom God anointed to conquer Babylon in 538 BC.
- Cambyses II
- Darius I
- Xerxes, who unsuccessfully invaded Greece and gained victory at Thermopylae but was defeated at Salamis. It is hypothesized that he is the king called Ahasuerus in the Bible, who married Esther.
- Artaxerxes I. He appointed Nehemiah governor of Judah.
- Darius II
- Artaxerxes II
- Artaxerxes III
- Arses, a usurper.
- Darius III Codomannus, who overthrew Arses and was defeated by Alexander the Great