Research:Ice core chronology
From A Storehouse of Knowledge
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_core, especially http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_core#Dating_cores
- The Precision of Ice-Core Dating, C.U. Hammer and H.B. Clausen, in "Thera and the Aegean World III", Volume Three: "Chronology", Proceedings of the Third International Congress, Santorini, Greece, 3-9 September 1989, pp. 174 - 178.
- "If a high data resolution is obtained along the ice core, as may be the case with dust and acidity measurements, the record approaches a time resolution which is so detailed that it reflects individual precipitations within a single year." (In other words, the layers due to individual snowfalls are clearly distinguishable from the annual layers.)
- 3.3.2. Ice Cores (from the Global Climate Change website)
- A 60 000 year Greenland stratigraphic ice core chronology, Svensson et al., Clim. Past, 4, 47–57, 2008 - This looks very promising. Scientific, detailed, recent.
- A synchronized dating of three Greenland ice cores throughout the Holocene, B. M. Vinther et al., J. Geophys. Res., 111, D13102, doi:13110.11029/12005JD006921, 2006. - cited by Svensson et al. as the source for the time period most relevant to creationism: "The 0–7.9 ka section of the time scale is based on counting of annual layers in δ18O and δD from the DYE-3, GRIP and NorthGRIP ice cores (Vinther et al., 2006)."
- "Get Answers" on ice ages from answersingenesis
- Ice Cores and the Age of the Earth, by Larry Vardiman (date of publication is not given, but the last reference is from 1990) - not very helpful
- Do Greenland ice cores show over one hundred thousand years of annual layers?, First published:, TJ (now Journal of Creation) 15(3):39–42, December 2001, by Michael Oard
- "Glaciologists claim that they can count 110,000 annual layers downward from the top to near the bottom of the Greenland ice sheet (Meese et al., 1997). This analysis was performed on the American GISP2 core drilled between 1989 to 1993 from the top of the ice in central Greenland to bedrock at about 10,000 feet deep (Oard, 1995). The GRIP core was drilled nearby at the same time by a European team. It is further claimed that the very basal ice is 250,000 years old (Dansgaard et al., 1993), or possibly 2.4 million years, back to the time of the original buildup of the ice sheet (Souchez, 1997). This is obviously much too old for the short Biblical time scale. Is their claim of so many annual layers justified?"
- Do ice cores show many tens of thousands of years?, by Michael Oard, First published in, Frozen in Time, Chapter 12 (Master Books, 2004)
- Are Polar Ice Sheets Only 4500 Years Old?, by Michael Oard, published by Institution for Creation Research as Impact #361, July 2003
- Rebuttal: Impact #361: The Truth about Ice Cores, Creation Science Rebuttals - not terribly helpful
- Ancient Ice, Sean D. Pitman M.D., © December, 2006 - very detailed
- Ice Cores and Dating - Part One - Being a Foreigner to long age interpretations using ice cores, blog from Radaractive - useless
Old Earth (i.e., defending the mainline interpretation against the YEC view)
- Rebuttal of Claim CD410 (talkorigins, reproduced at http://answersincreation.org/argument/G531_creation_science.htm) - not terribly helpful
- Ice Core Dating, Matt Brinkman, Last Update: January 3, 1995 (talkorigins) - not terribly helpful
- The GISP2 Ice Core: Ultimate Proof that Noah’s Flood Was Not Global, Paul H. Seely - very good, that is, relevant and credible, although not written by an expert
- Rebuttal: Ice cores vs the Flood, First published: TJ (now Journal of Creation) 18(2):58–61, August 2004, by Michael J. Oard - detailed