User:Awc/K-Ar applied to young rocks
K-Ar applied to young rocks
This is great:
- P. R. Renne, W. D. Sharp, A. L. Deino, G. Orsi, L. Civetta, 40Ar/39Ar Dating into the Historical Realm: Calibration Against Pliny the Younger, Science 29 August 1997: Vol. 277. no. 5330, pp. 1279 - 1280; DOI: 10.1126/science.277.5330.1279
It uses potassium-argon (more precisely, argon-argon) dating to calculate the famous eruption of Vesuvius in 79 A.D. (1918 years ago) to have occurred 1925 ± 94 years ago. This establishes a direct connection betweeen historical dates and a method applicable to the earliest rocks. There is a related news release from UC Berkeley:
- Precise dating of the destruction of Pompeii proves argon-argon method can reliably date rocks as young as 2,000 years
- Radiometeric Dating Does Work!, G. Brent Dalrymple, Reports of the National Center for Science Education - gives examples of cross-checks of radiometric dating
- The Cassignol technique for potassium—Argon dating, precision and accuracy: Examples from the Late Pleistocene to Recent volcanics from southern Italy, Pierre-Yves Gillot and Yves Cornette, Chemical Geology: Isotope Geoscience section, Volume 59, 1986, Pages 205-222 - "The results demonstrate that the technique is capable of achieving K---Ar dates as young as 2000 a with a few centuries accuracy."
- 200 Year Old Lava Dated 2.96 Billion Years Old? -- "Thus the creationist have lied about, or did not understand the contents of this paper.", some on xenocrysts
- Excess argon within mineral concentrates from the new dacite lava dome at Mount St Helens volcano, Steven A. Austin, AiG. phenocrysts, whole rock, etc.
- Young-Earth Creationist 'Dating' of a Mt. St. Helens Dacite: The Failure of Austin and Swenson to Recognize Obviously Ancient Minerals, Kevin R. Henke, Ph.D.